Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Cool Weather Snake

This past Sunday while on a bicycle ride on the "City Trail" near the intersection of Hwy. 16 and Hwy. B (northeast of La Crosse in Medary) I was surprised to find this gartner snake basking on the paved trail. After taking this photo I had to nudge the snake several times with my shoe in order to get him/her to slither off into nearby grass. I would have left him alone to enjoy the warmth of the pavement but some people with dogs were approaching and I didn't want to take the chance they would harm the snake. Anyway, I thought snakes in this area would be in hibernation by early November but that goes to show you what I know. A couple hours later I came across a frog on the same trail . . . maybe the warmer than usual fall day (55 degrees) had something to do with the snake and frog being out.

No comments: