Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Confused "Uncle Joe"

Yesterday a friend and I went to breakfast at the State Road Country Kitchen Restaurant (see photo) located two miles from downtown La Crosse. While we were eating, an older man who reminded me of Uncle Joe (see photo, courtesy of Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia) from the 1960s TV sitcom “Petticoat Junction” sat down at the table next to us. When the waitress approached him, he held up the menu and said, “What’s going on? Your menu is totally different from the downtown Country Kitchen.”
To which the waitress replied, “I’m sorry but the downtown Country Kitchen closed some time ago and is now occupied by a different restaurant.”
“Well, I like their menu. Just give me a cup of coffee,” responded Uncle Joe in a grumpy tone.
He drank about two sips of his coffee and then left, presumably to head to the downtown restaurant which he thought was a Country Kitchen.
Today while out and about on my bike I snapped a photo of the old downtown Country Kitchen (which closed in April 2006), now known as King Street Kitchen which opened in May 2006. One would think Uncle Joe would have noticed the name/sign change which took place over a year ago. Guess that proves many people do not pay close attention to their everyday surroundings.
Plus I thought it was also odd that Unlce Joe would fret over a breakfast menu since eggs and hash-browns are pretty much the same everywhere. Go figure.

1 comment:

David Steinlicht said...

Doug,

You know us old guys -- we get set in our ways. I'm still not over Burger King's cancellation of the "Yumbo" ham-and-cheese sandwich. And that's probably 30 years ago! (Man, that was a tasty sandwich.)

--Uncle Dave