Sunday, July 29, 2007

Ghost Road

This short section of concrete road located between La Crosse and La Crescent, Minnesota, is all that remains of old Hwy. 14-61 which once connected the two towns before being replaced by a modern four-lane highway (out of view and to the left a couple hundred feet) some 40 or 50 years ago. Upon completion of the four-lane road, the old tw0-lane highway was removed except for this short stretch which was left to provide access to a boat landing. I think it's cool that this old piece of the past is still in use and whenever I bicycle down it I almost expect to see large black sedans from the 1940s barreling toward me. Honk!

1 comment:

David Steinlicht said...

I like to see the moss -- or whatever that green stuff is -- growing in the middle of the road. It's comforting to imagine that if the area is left alone, the green will eventually take over.